Thursday, March 19, 2009

Hyper V Failed to add device "Microsoft Synthetic Ethernet Port"

So I came across a need to user Hyper V at one of our remote locations which has a box running Windows Server 2008 64bit.  I added the Hyper V role and launch it only to find out that the packaged version is a pre-release and that I needed to update.  So I ended up having to install the update (Get it here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950050) which, after installing requires a reboot......so many reboots...anyhow...I digress.  After the reboot I fire up Hyper V...cool.  Looks straight forward.  I plow through the wizard and at the last step which is creation, I get hit with the error: "Failed to add device "Microsoft Synthetic Ethernet Port".  After surfing around a bit, I found that this is caused by anti-virus software settings on the directory.  We use trend micro but apparently Forefront causes the same issue.  I would not be surprised if others fit the bill.  As soon as I excluded the directory where the VHD is stored as well as *.xml files, the VM wizard completed successfully.

No comments: